Saturday, April 11, 2009

Excellent adventure!

We hauled to Santa Barbara, Ca. to Rancho Oso Guest Ranch and Stables. It is amazing there. No cell phones, no computers, just family, friends wildlife and horses! What could be better? Our trip was cut short due to a family tragedy. My great grandmother passed away and her services were last night and today. So we were only there overnight, it was still great.









Hottie settled right into the stall like she had been there all her life. We got there late in the afternoon so I just fed and went to our cabin to play with the kids. Friday morning I made an attempt at tacking up outside of her stall. She dumped my saddle in the dirt twice (I HATE WHEN SHE DOES THAT), she hadn't done it in a few weeks so I figured it was over with. She sometimes can be a pill about the saddle. She is smart enough to know how to just dump it and stand there like nothing happened. Her goal was to graze on the grass there and not wear a saddle at all! NOT. So, I tied her to the hitching rail there which I was reluctant to do because of her confinement issues. SHE DID NOT PULL BACK! This to me was great because I was really leary of her tying outside of the backyard. I got the saddle up on her and much to her dismay we started to walk away from Dixie and out towards the round pen. There were no mule stopping moments at all which is another weight off my shoulders! She got into the round pen that was quite a bit away and went to work just like we were at home! I was so happy with her. We went into the large arena and saw some beautiful baby sheep outside the arena. She went all around the arena no issues. We weaved some poles they had set up and called it a day! I was very happy with her confidence with me away from the security of home! Actually she was better than she is at home! Amber was my photographer and she was no where to be found while I was riding but we have pictures of the ground, turkeys, flowers, and herself! Leave it to an 8 year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment