Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Which way is home?

Hottie is still mending from her dentistry. I decided to take her out for a nice walk off of the property, outside on the Yuppie Trails of Chatsworth! For those of you from rural settings, Yuppie Trails are bridle paths put in where horse property used to be and non horse keeping property has come in and taken over. They put Yuppie Trails in to get the non horse keeping zoning passed through the City. The bridle paths act as a way to still gain access to the trails through the streets. It is not pleasant because it brings non horse people into a community with strong horse culture and then it threatens the life span of horse keeping in the community. It also threatens the safety of the horses and riders. Non horse people have no clue of the flight response in a horse, not only wild horses but domestic horses alike. They think you should not have your horse in the street where there are no bridle paths. Little do they know that horses were in Chatsworth long before they moved into their new yuppie homes and it is they who should respect the right of the horse to be in CHATSWORTH. Sore spot you think?

Done ranting, back to Hottie! She was very good about most things, today was trash day and the trash trucks didn't bother her. School was in session so there were big yellow buses going by! Bikes are a little scary. People jogging are not a problem. Cars zooming by were not scary although they do make mom MAD.

The only problem we had was directional. She would not go East. She only wanted to go North or South. The only way to get home was EAST! It is obvious to me she has no sense of where home is as a matter of fact when we got back to the gate to the yard she was so determined to show me that it was the wrong direction she backed into the street! A nice man in an oldsmobile stopped to tell me she has a mind of her own. I said not really she is a Wild Mustang and has only been out of the wild for 30 days, so I think she is doing pretty well. He looked at me like I spoke no english. Like what is a wild horse? Can you say "LETS EDUCATE THE PUBLIC" There are still wild animals in the United States and they are not all in Zoos! I think I will write my local paper to see if they can slow down on Chatsworth Street when they see a small black mare in the street! I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today I think!

3 comments:

  1. Just wait till you run into the opposite kind of person... the one who knows it all and wants to give you an earful on how the BLM should run things. They are just as bad if not worse than the uneducated ones.

    Anyway, truth is, Hottie will soon realize home/safety is with you, and she'll be following you anywhere. At least she didn't pull any fast ones and go off exploring by herself (unlike my mare, Faith, who went running off into the woods).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach on sista! I know how these crazy speed racers can be! the high schoolers in norco don't give a damn if there is a horse there or not, they just speed right by, and i've had some honk! ugh!! you know another thing i hate, lance armstrong wanna-bees on bikes that yell "LEFT!" on the trail and expect my horse to vanish when they get to it..my mom and i clothes lined one with our dog on a leash once..it was funny watching him crash cause he couldn't get his feet out of those silly little pedal things they have!! hahaha.

    I second you michelle! I can't tell you how many times i've had to stand and act interested when someone decided they knew how to train a wild horse..(while thier 20 year old, domesticated at since birth, gelding is standing next to them, whom they never trained, but bought him already broke) most of the time i just hold out my had with the lead rope in it when they are finished giving me the monty roberts low down and say "then you try." they usually back off at that point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wrong Side of the Bed? I don't think so. I think you're funny. Someone needs to tell them. Hey you. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete