Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Learning as we go!


So, thats the ugliest picture I have ever seen of myself but admitting it is the first step! I had been wearing my helmet and forgot to put my hat on after I took her saddle off! But, she is so cute I had to post it!
Hottie was great today! I have learned with her you have to show her that what your doing not going to hurt her and that it is her idea! So today with the help of my mom she learned that it was her idea to go forward with me on her! She has turning and backwards down pat! Picture a cutting horse working the flag and that was Hottie and I chasing my mom with a bucket of goodies. We went forward and turned and learned it was ok for my legs to encourage her to go forward. With any other breed of horse I would have by now totally said "get your ass moving" but with her you cant break that trust and she can be really stubborn if you do. She has to be shown that it is ok and she will do it everytime after for you, as long as her trust is not broken! I sure do like this little black mare!

3 comments:

  1. I had an idea the other night, we should have a "Mustang Meeting" with all the local california trainers at Ingalls Park in Norco one of these weekend so we can help each other, trade tips, and just hang out with our fellow competitors. We could all trailer in and get them used to the pen and the surrounding trails that we will be riding for the challenge. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look great in that photo!! So does your mare :-) You two are doing great, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't surprise me. She is cute. Don is smiling down from heaven seeing all of his judgments of you were correct. :)

    ReplyDelete